EXPECTATIONS AT KELVIN GROVE
We expect that all pupils will:
- attend school regularly;
- attend school punctually;
- attend school appropriately prepared for the day.
We expect that all parents/carers will:
- encourage regular school attendance and be aware of their legal responsibilities;
- ensure that the child/children in their care arrive at school punctually, prepared for the school day;
- ensure that they contact the school whenever the child/children is unable to attend school;
- contact the school on the first day of the child’s absence and telephone every day thereafter unless their child has a doctor’s certificate;
- contact the school promptly whenever any problem occurs that may keep the child away from school;
- make their child’s medical appointments after school hours or in the school holidays. Where this is unavoidable the class teacher must see the letter from the hospital/doctor/dentist with the appointment date and time in order for the absence to be authorised.
We expect that all school staff will:
- encourage good attendance;
- provide a welcoming atmosphere for children;
- provide a safe learning environment;
- provide a sympathetic response to any pupil’s concerns.
In addition to this classteachers will:
- keep regular and accurate records of attendance for all pupils, at least twice daily*
In addition to this the office staff will:
- contact parents as soon as possible when a pupil fails to attend where no message has been received to explain the absence;
- follow up all unexplained absences to obtain notes authorising the absence.
In addition to this the Attendance & Punctuality co-ordinator will:
- monitor every pupil’s attendance;
- make initial enquiries of parents/carers of pupils who are not attending regularly, express their concern and clarify the school’s and the LA’s expectations with regard to regular school attendance;
- refer irregular or unjustified patterns of attendance to the Attendance & Welfare Officer (AWO).